Drink for the Gym

The gym drink I used to take to drink slowly during my workout was based on milk - too much milk at one go for compliance with Gundry, due to the sugar content - especially as I used to use lactofree milk.

I have tried a few alternatives: one I liked (but my partner did not) was made with a head of romaine lettuce blended with water, salt, olive oil and some balsamic vinegar - a liquid salad in effect.

 I also made a similar variation using raw beetroot, which again, was to my taste, but not to his.

Today's drink was more to his taste, and is likely to become a staple:

My freezer is full of bags of nuts, which I use to make nut milk. These I have soaked overnight, drained, and frozen in small bags of about a large mugful of nuts each: just enough to make a litre of nut milk.

I look one of these - walnuts in this case, and placed it in the blender with two teaspoons of instant coffee granules, two drops of stevia (I don't like the flavour, I just wanted to give it a tiny hint of sweetness), and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon; I added water to the limit of the blender (1 litre) and blended this for about a minute at high speed,adding 1/4 cup of olive oil while it was blending.

This was too thick for my taste; I shared this out into our respective drinks bottles -  I diluted mine to bring it up to about 750mL. This was a nutty, slightly granular drink (if making nut milk, I would have strained the blended nuts; I wanted all the goodness of the nuts in the gym drink. This nut juice was palatable, with no unpleasant after effects.

I happily sipped away at it while lifting weights this evening.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Mashed Green Bananas

Smashed Cauliflower

Coconut and Raspberry Jelly